Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Chapter 8 Question 1

After reading this chapter, I feel as if I have a further understanding on the art of reasoning. What Sherlock means, when he talk to Watson, is that too many people rely on opinions- and not actually on fact. I actually believe that people do this all the time. A current situation in my life, that has actually happened, goes very well with this chapter. Me and my friend recently got in a little argument. My friend went around telling a whole other story then what actually happened, and got my other friends to believe his version of the story. So of course, me being the short tempered man that I am, decided to reason with my friends. I got the guy who was spreading drama behind my back and the friends who believed him to come to coffee with me. During that time at coffee, I got the real story out of the guy spreading gossip, and my other friends saw who was telling the truth after all. I used the argument of elimination in order to let my friends decide who was telling the truth, and after getting my  friend caught up in his own words, I won that battle. Although, this whole situation in my life may not be completely easy to follow, it really helped me understand what Sherlock was saying, and I feel as if me and Sherlock have been in the same boat. 

Thanks for reading,

GreekGuy

3 comments:

  1. Hey GreekGuy,

    I agree with you on what you think Sherlock means by what he told Watson – that people usually handle the situation based on their opinions and beliefs rather than facts. I also applaud you for being the honest one and handling the situation in a more pleasant manner than actually fighting or whatnot. I can’t say I have experienced the same because that has never really happened but when my sister and I argue, I let my feelings take over instead of looking at the wrong things I might have done. It’s like when it gets into the heat of the argument, I start to just get really angry and attack her with words. And, of course, it’s not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greek Guy,
    I agree with you that too many people rely on opinions rather than the truth. It is true that just like your friend, I feel like this happens a lot when there are fights. People don't purposely try and make the other seem like a bad person, but in their view you might have been. But that's what happens when witnesses give testimony of what happened in their eyes. So when your friend went around telling the story, he was simply saying what he felt happened during your argument. So when your friend heard your side of the story, it is good thing that they were able to see what had really happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greek Guy,
    I completely agree with you. Many people do not want to look like the bad guy, so they tweak the truth and make it seem as though they are right. Those kind of people do what ever it takes and can make others believe them. When people don't get both sides of the story, the story that people are told is going to make them believe it too.

    ReplyDelete