Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chapter 8 Question 3

 Pick one concept from the reading this week and discuss it in detail.

The one concept that really stuck with me, as I look back at this week, has to be the concept of "argument of elimination". It has really helped me think way more logically, without making snap judgments like I used to do. The concept is just eliminating out the possible situations, people, rules, ect. until only one logical answer remains. I recently went to a festival this last weekend and I lost my sister. She was not answering her phone, no one had seen her the last 30 minutes, and it was the end of the festival. I started to panic and then I thought logically. Let me get a search group to look for her. We looked in the kids area, nope. Looked in the bathrooms, nope. Looked in the church, nope. Looked at center stage, nope. My patience was running thin. But then, boom, I think wait a second....... the peta potties. And there she was. It has only taken me some time to think about it, but with "argument of elimination" I searched through all of the places until there was just one. 

Thanks for reading,

-Greek Guy


4 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed the concept "argument of elimination". Like you I also have had to learn to eliminate certain choices by thinking about it critically. I had a bad habit of not thinking answers through completely. I would always go back on a quiz or test and be like "oh darn I knew that was the answer". There is no worse feeling then that I think because you obviously knew the answer. The process of argument elimination is one that can be applied to any situation in life like you experience when loosing your sister for a bit. I am glad you found and I enjoyed your blog.


    Heisenberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the concept of "argument of elimination" is a good skill to develop over time. Like you said it will help you think more logically and come to the best and most accurate answer. Because of the society we live in today, we want things to happen immediately and we tend to lose our patience. So it is very easy to make rash decisions or come to the wrong conclusion. Though the argument of elimination takes time and patience, it is really efficient and gives you a clear view of your problem, helping you reach your answer. I thought it was great you thought to make a group search for your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey GreekGuy,

    I also feel like the Argument of elimination is a very good skill to have. I believe that learning and developing this skill can really help someone develop into a logical thinker and problem solver. By setting time out to logically think, I believe it is a better use of time than trying something without thinking and realizing you did it all wrong. I normally do try to logically think and go through all of the possibilities but I realized, like Robin said, I want things to happen immediately and I lose my patience. I look to learn how to take it slowly and learn how to take it slow and fully think out things in the future.

    - AvatarAang

    ReplyDelete
  4. The “argument of elimination” I find also very helpful when it comes to really looking for argument for this class. This concept has also helped me out. On the other hand, losing your sister must have been a little daunting, I would think. Some people would just panic and shout. That’s what I would imagine some people to do. Yet you seem to stick to the concept of “argument of elimination.” I feel you acted rational. That is definitely great work… Seems like you had the right state of mind to handle this situation. Critical thinking does help us in our daily lives. Great work…

    ReplyDelete