Saturday, November 10, 2012

Chapter 11 Question 2

In this argument about plagiarism, both authors make valid points as to why they agree or disagree with plagiarism. Brook J. Sadler makes very valid points when it comes to plagiarism. He thinks it is unfair, unethical, theftish, and not a good concept in the long run. He makes a list of ten reasons as to why it is bad, and makes very valid and thought out points. When it comes to the other author, Russell Hunt he makes very challenging arguments that fight for the right to plagiarize. He thinks that plagiarism is something that students should be able to do and mostly talk about how plagiarism "challenges" rights as a student. I like both sides of the argument. I know though, as a student, I would not plagiarize. This is because ever since the sixth grade i was pounded by my teachers on how bad plagiarism is and why we shouldnt do it. If I had not had this happen to me, maybe I would be a little bit more accepting of plagiarism. Overall, good arguments on both sides, but I agree with Sadler a bit more. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Greek Guy! I think that you made a really good assessment of these arguments because you looked at both of their sides. I, as well as most of students, have been told about how terrible plagiarism is. Although it is intriguing, I think that it would be really difficult to create a system that Hunt is envisioning. What it comes down to for me is that, yes school sometimes feels mundane but it is the system we have to work within. If we can get through it successfully (with our own ideas in our work) then we will be able to tackle the real world. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your post, I think you really make a good comment on both sides of those arguments. I do also agree with you that Sadler makes a better point by stating a list of ten reasons based on the bad side of plagiarism. By my understanding, I think that the other author, Hunt, does not have enough evidence to prove the advantages of making plagiarism approved in college. As a student, I cannot deny that it will definitely save a lot of time if we all do our homework and assignment by the help of plagiarism. However, we will then not be able to learn anything from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about how both authors make a great point and can be right in some points. I also do agree with you that plagiarism is taken very harsh and should ease up a bit because some information is literally used by everyone. I hate the fact that some general knowledge is credited by some random publisher, author, doctor, and etc. when a lot of people have used this knowledge before. I believe some things should not be available to make someone subjected to plagiarism because it can cause trouble and also potential expulsion from a school and especially in college.

    ReplyDelete