Friday, November 9, 2012

Chapter 11 Question 1

Knowing that media can twist and make bias stands on certain subjects really bothers me as a US citizen. The news and media will use "sensationalism and the news as entertainment" in order to make certain information sound like a joke and give it just for the shock entertainment factor of showing the information. Along with that, the media uses Bias in order to show the largest audience what they want to hear. It really changes how one thinks. Showing false information and giving people news is not really that sufficient to us as a society. As for expanding my world views, I think that I really cant trust the media. Propaganda is such a huge tool that media uses along with not telling the whole truth and showing the whole story.  As for my own views, I judge when I can trust media or not. Sometimes, it is just too much fakeness that I can tell a certain story isnt true. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you for the most part. I agree that obviously the media uses sensationalism and biases to sway an audience. However, I think it is difficult for me to say that I cannot trust the media like you mentioned. From professors to students to friends to family to articles to TV shows, we are all exposed to biased information that it becomes hard who or what to trust. Therefore, how do we know that we do not trust the information the “media” sends out? I also do not believe that just your judgment can determine if a form of media is trustworthy or not because sometimes they will sound and seem trustworthy, but really, they’re misinforming us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Greek Guy,
    I love the first sentence of your blog. The reason I enjoyed that first line it because it bothers me too. I hate how I have to second guess or question everything I see in the news. I dont just feel this as a US citizen but rather as just as being a human. I believe that since we are human reporting human news why not make it all completely true. I just do not see the point of the over exaggeration in news because a large portion of viewers believe what they say with out seeing other points of views. This is extremely relevant with the past election because some stations support a candidate more than another. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi GreekGuy,

    I totally agree with you when you say that the media uses bias to show people what they want to see and hear. When I watch commercials, I always hear good things (and never the bad things) about their specific product(s). All the bad things are always left out, which isn’t considered lying because they haven’t said anything wrong! I think the media is a great thing to use to advertise products, but we shouldn’t rely too much on what it says. We should keep in mind that they are trying to get viewers to purchase their things, no matter what happens.

    ReplyDelete