Saturday, October 6, 2012

Chapter 3 Question 3

One concept that I really enjoyed reading about this week had to be the concept of nonverbal language.  In the book it talked about animals, and how they can talk without actually speaking. Bees use a type of dance to show what they are speaking about, stingrays use sonic rays to speak to one another, fish swim together in order to protect one another, and so on. My family also has a way with kind of telepathically speaking to one another. We can read each other's body language and eye language to know if something is wrong or if we are happy, or any type of situation as a matter of fact. I think that nonverbal language has a connection to safety- just like speaking a foreign language in front of others that don't like that language. When people do this, it means that they don't want that individual to know what they are talking about- thus keeping them feeling safe. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Greek Guy!
    I enjoyed your post about nonverbal language. Nonverbal language occurs more than sarcasm and manipulative language. I think body language and eye language is a very import and popular one in our daily lives, especially among young people who do not know how to communicate well with other people such as, professor or their parents. I am that person who you’re talking about in regards to speaking a different language around other people. If I want to let someone around me know that I think the person next to me is weird I will open my eye wide and say something in a different language. I don’t always feel safe because Spanish is a very popular language, but I’ll either say it in Hebrew or Spanish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Greek Guy,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog this week. This is because I like how you gave examples of how the book explained and supported nonverbal communication and how you supported that argument with personal examples as well. I am happy to hear that you and your family can pick up on one another's mood and attitudes, which cannot be said for every family in America. But you stated it was due to a feeling of safety, however I think that it is just not for that reason alone that you can pick up on your families mood. I think it is because you see them and interact with them on a daily basis that you can tell when they do not act normal. I think if you spend enough time with some one that nonverbal communication can develop. That's my two sense but great post once again.


    Heisenberg

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up Greek Guy,
    I also liked the section about nonverbal communication and I think it can be used with people we don't even know. Generally one can sense whether something is good or bad about something just by the way they're acting. I think it could be used almost as much as actual communication. Even things like gestures can help persuade somebody or teach someone something new easier. These movements make it easier to interact with one another. My family and I also have that sense about each other where we can tell if something is right with them or not.

    Thank you for posting!
    Chandler Martin

    ReplyDelete