Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chapter 3 Question 2

In the last week, I have used so many different rhetorical devices. Last Thursday, I went to my volleyball practice at church. There is five teams practicing in one gym, so it is put into a rotation that two teams get to play one game, then rotate to the next two teams after the game is done. Anyways, it was my team's turn to play on the court, and out of no where the team that had already played wanted to take our turn in line. One thing lead to the other and then that team some how got their way. I simply used sarcasm and said, "Wow, you guys are so sportsman like. Give yourself a round of applause." Another volleyball story occurred this week, and I used a hyperbole. I fell on the floor and sprained my finger. When I hurt my finger I said, "Ow, my finger feels like it is going to fall off". I just said this to over dramatize the situation, but I know that politics use it distort facts about very important information. Overall, this week- and everyday- I use rhetoric devices, even though they are all usually to make fun of something or to over dramatize something. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Greek Guy

    Wow, it seems like you had one heck of a week. I believe that sarcasm is in everyone’s vocabulary and we just cannot help but use it often. To be honest, I would have used sarcasm too, if I was in your situation and a team took my spot. I can’t help but use it when I am angry or when I a trying to be funny. Your use of a hyperbole was quite interesting although I’m sure it was not funny to say the least. Overall, I feel like as a society we tend to dramatize things for many different reasons, but we all do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good examples of rhetoric devices. I agree that politics do use it to distort facts with hyperbole, but also media. Advertisements are also a good example of hyperbole because they use words that help exaggerate a product so that they are able to sell. Without the use of hyperbole, they might not do so well in the market. I too use the rhetoric device, sarcasm. I believe everyone does almost every day jokingly that is. I know that most of the time people do use sarcasm, but usually as a joke. If it were to use in very important situations, I believe that people will take it seriously and take in the wrong context as well. Sometimes sarcasm is not a good device to use in those kind of situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that is it easy to use rhetoric devices such as sarcasm and hyperboles. If I were in your shoes I too would have used sarcasm to get a point across, because what they did is unfair and rude. I do find myself using sarcasm a lot when I get angry as well as when I am joking around with my friends. If i hurt my finger, I think I would have used something similar to your hyperbole to describe the pain I was in, even if I would be exaggerating. I feel like using hyperboles help you get the emotions out, because in the beginning there is probably a build up of emotions. Exaggerating sort of helps ease the pain of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Greek Guy,
    You have good examples of rhetoric devices. Everyday, this device is used by different sorts of people. It is a good way to help people to get remembered. I would remember the person who said something witty because I always like the funny remarks. I am disappointed that the other team took your turn. Did your statement get heard by the other team? I feel like that pain is usually always over exaggerated. Pain is probably exaggerated, because it hurt so much right when it happens. Sarcasm and hyperboles can also help ease tense situations. It makes situations more humorous.

    ReplyDelete