Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chapter 6 Question 1

President Barack Obama shows his luke-warm side with opposing same sex marriages on a federal level, and supporting it on civil union and equal right level. This shows a flaw in his "goal" for equality. He is saying that everyone should have equal rights, when in fact he is just looking past a major problem.  Giving people support, without really supporting them, sounds like a bad friend to me. I would never be friends with someone who says they have my back, but then goes right in front of me  and stabs me. The whole situation is the same for Obama and the gay marriage friendship. Barack Obama is saying, "Yea, I have your back don't worry," but at the same time is beating the friend with a wooden bat. The whole situation seems wrong to me. On a different note, I really enjoyed both Nava and Dawidoff's arguments. I like how some of the argument were personal and just flat out said that gays and lesbians just want to have the same rights as heterosexual couples. Denying people federal support, really shows a character flaw in the government and an inconsistency with Obama's whole equal rights vision. I actually believe Obama is doing this "in the middle thing", so he doesn't step on anyone's toes and keeps the popular vote. 

Thanks for reading,

-GreekGuy

5 comments:

  1. I also agree with you. Obama is too scared of being hated by the party who disagrees. I feel like if he stood his group and supported his beliefs completely, people will understand and notice his efforts and like him for not being a pushover. Your example about with if a friend was like that was good and easy to relate to. I feel like if a friend was supporting me half-heartedly like Obama, I'll be left behind when that friend has to choose between me and someone else, because I just don't seem as important. I also agree that he just doesn't want to step on anyone's toes and be on everyone's good side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. I feel like Obama is just trying to please everyone and doesn't want to face critics who disagree with him. If from the beginning he simply just said what he really believed in, rather than complicating things and showing two different view sides, people would actually see what the president stands for. When I see President Obama contradicting himself over this issue, it doesn’t motivate me to vote for him at all because it just shows me that he is scared to face the people that disagree with him which counts as a big weakness in our President.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are completely right that Obama does not want to lose the popular vote. He is making it seem as if he supports people and is agreeing with the majority of the public, but then by not agreeing with same-sex marriage on a federal level kind of contradicts his support. The way you related it to a friend is understandable because if a friend did something along those lines with me, I would clearly not want to have that type of person around me. I believe that Obama might not have the best intentions with the same sex marriage proposition, even though he makes it seem like he does support them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greek Guy,
    I agree with you, President Obama supports equal rights, yet he opposes same sex marriage, which contradicts his own beliefs. Yes, same-sex marriage is a very controversial issue that the President leaves unattended at a federal level. He states everyone should have equal rights, but fails abide by his own words. As a result, he is acting like any other politician says something and never acts upon it. Civil unions do not guarantee same-sex couples all rights married couples have, such as income tax rights, social security benefits, and considering themselves married too name a few. For the most part I agree with you, Obama supports some gay rights to gather votes for the upcoming election.

    Luna Arzola

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the rest of the students already said, I also agree with you on how Obama doesn't want to lose the popular vote. He believes in equal rights, but at the same time, he doesn't approve of same-sex marriage which doesn't make sense because he's just contradicting himself. I like the example that you used about a friend stabbing you in the back because it's basically the way that Obama thinks. If Obama really believed in equality for everyone, he would make a stance and not oppose same-sex marriage because now, he just looks like a coward for not standing up for his beliefs.

    ReplyDelete